2. Made in Abyss, episodes 9-13 (Very good) - Yep, this is easily the best anime series of this season. It is an intriguing, atmospheric and well crafted anime. I really wish more of it was made because the journey is not over yet, but anime making can be a capricious business. But I am satisfied with what we got. A rarely say this, but I am going to miss watching this labor of love show.
3. New Game!!, episodes 9-12 (Good) - The first season of New Game was a relaxing little show with not much ambition. But this second season took the writing, especially character development, to a superior level. I emerge very pleased with this new entry in the franchise that continued to be very consistent, and the characters became even more endearing.
4. Sakura Quest, episodes 23-25 (Good) - I have mixed feelings and thoughts on this show. This series started in a very pleasing way because it initially focused on getting to know and developing the very likable five main protagonists. But the attention shifted to the town, its inhabitants and problems, and I started to disengage emotionally. Still, this is a well made show from fan favorite studio P.A. Works that is worth a watch because of its pleasing visual and healing vibe.
5. Gamers!, episodes 9-12 (Good) - This was another surprisingly enjoyable title for me. It is nominally supposed to be a show about gamers, but it is fortunately for me a slice of life anime with weird but likable characters. I really wish a second season was made because it can be very fun and compelling, but we might not get more. Such a shame.
6. Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, episodes 20-24 (Good) - This second season of Rage of Bahamut started with a bang and appeared to be a candidate for anime of the year. Things did not stay at that high and consistent level, but it continued to at least be a good and compelling show with a lot of emotion, and high quality and distinctive visuals.
7. Re: CREATORS, episodes 20-22 (Good) - I never was able to fully get into this show probably because it is not my kind of anime, but it is an ambitious and interesting production that is worth a watch; more anime shows like this one should be made. Despite my praise I cannot give this series a better grade because it is good all around, but it is not great in any particular area.
8. A Centaur's Life, episodes 9-12 (Decent) - I always have found monster girls anime kind of pointless and dumb, but this is the first show in this genre that I have liked. And it is not that I am buying the monster gimmick, but the slice of life, and some yuri, elements are well done. It also helped that there is a certain white-winged character that I found very attractive.
9. My Hero Academia 2, episodes 1-25 (Good) - This shounen, action/adventure show appeared to be interested in being a different kind of show within this genre since the first season, but it was until this second season that things came together. In addition to being a fun, entertaining and well animated show, My Hero Academia explores some dark and uncomfortable human issues.
10. Knight's & Magic, episodes 10-13 (So-so) - Let me state this clearly, this is a very generic otaku oriented show, but it is an okay anime. The writing and characters have nothing worth mentioning, but the show was very consistent throughout; the creators knew what they wanted to do. The other solid thing is its visuals, and the female characters are pretty and sexy.
11. My First Girlfriend is a Gal, episodes 9-10 (So-so) - I am not a fan of ecchi anime because it tends to be badly written and shallow. This show combines ecchi with comedy and romance. The result is still a silly show with weak, and often offensive, writing, but I had a good time watching it because it had sincerity, some heart and enough entertainment value.
12. Classroom of the Elite, episodes 9-12 (So-so) - This show showed some potential at the start because it seemed to want to explore ideas of famous philosophers, but it turned to be a cheap gimmick. This series does not do anything particularly well. Its only redeeming characteristic is that the girls have big boobs and nice curves. I did not like this show much, but it was never dull.
13. Love and Lies, episodes 10-12 (So-so) - This weird romance show started with a premise that seemed intriguing and potentially interesting. But by its midpoint it started to become clear that the show was not smart enough to do something worthwhile. This is by no means a terrible anime, but there was potential to be something more than a mediocre and forgettable show.