2. Flip Flappers - This anime is a very special experience that combines surreal elements, magical girls, drama and moe to produce a winning formula. Like other surreal shows the writing in Flip Flappers was sometimes vague and confusing, but to me the best aspect of this series is the superb production values that inform the actions of the characters and transmits lots of emotion.
3. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - This is an adult drama with complex characters. This anime does several things right ranging from the subtle but powerful soundtrack to camera angles that convey complex messages, but what I found the best is how captivating and heart wrenching the scenes could be. For almost a year I considered this show the best from 2016.
4. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Anime is a visual medium, but beyond theatrical films and OVA's it is rare to find tv series that make you admire in awe amazing production values. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is one of those rare examples. This is an action series with mostly forgettable writing, but its tremendous production values are enough to make it a top 5 title in this list.
5. ERASED - This is a well directed thriller with emotional drama that started very strong, but its writing started to atrophy in the second half. Despite that ERASED is a pretty solid title because its tense atmosphere and drama were engaging throughout. If this 12 episodes series had been a 2 hours movie, it could have been a better anime, but the show we got is still a very solid effort.
6. Flying Witch - This is a healing show with a great atmosphere and likable characters. There is not really much to say about this show writing wise because the characters develop little and not much happens plot wise. This is the reason why I did not rate this show that high, but Flying Witch is very enjoyable healing and slice of life anime that any fan of those genres should enjoy.
7. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - This was my surprise anime series of 2016 because of how much I enjoyed it. This show is an adventure series with a very simple story and likable but kind of cliche characters. The best thing about this show is its subdued atmosphere and very pretty backgrounds and art style. This is not an easy title to recommend because the writing is simple, but its atmosphere is pretty nice.
8. Girlish Number - Two years ago we got the wonderful Shirobako, which took a look at the anime industry in an optimistic way through the eyes of five likable and hard working young women. Unlike its predecessor Girlish Number offers a more cynic look at the anime industry through female voice actresses with some attitude problems. Girlish number is a solid show, but it needed more consistent good writing.
9. Re:Zero - This otaku fantasy show shares some similarities with fan favorite Sword Art Online, but Re:Zero feels more emotionally honest. This anime definitely panders toward the otaku crowd, but there are moments that stand out because they are well crafted. Its writing can be hit or miss, but the passion for this show was present throughout. Re:Zero is not a great show, but it is definitely compelling.
10. Izetta: The Last Witch - This action and adventure series with fantasy element set in an alternative WWII setting is the definition of a good, consistent but unremarkable show. From the very first episode it was clear that Izetta was going to be an entertaining show with a solid but not very original story. The production values were also solid but unremarkable. This title is simply very consistent.
* This list might be adjusted at the end of March.