Anime watched: This was a rest week, and there is not much to report. August will be busier through.
Anime watched: I rewatched Bakemonogatari. I like it a lot and still think it is a tremendously well made anime. But I am starting to see Bakemonogatari as another piece of the Monogatari franchise instead of seeing it as the heart and soul for the whole franchise. All the Bakemonogatari arcs are important to understand the franchise, but other future arcs like Nekomonogatari White and Hanamonogatari have also made great contributions.
Anime bought: I imported a Japanese BD (raw) copy of Millennium Actress.
Anime watched: This week I revisited Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. It is one of the better looking and well crafted anime series I have watched. Perhaps my admiration for Moribito still surpasses my actual love for it, but I have had a great time with every rewatch. And of course Balsa is one of the best characters in anime history to me.
Overall this new season does not look that strong, but I have found more exciting titles than last season. These are the series I plan to follow each week, but I will only provide a monthly ranking with a rating and very brief commentary. In my final ranking for the season I plan to provide more detailed final thoughts on each series.
1. Orange - Yep, it looks like the kind of slice of life/drama I enjoy the most.
2. Amanchu! - Wow. I did not expect to be this charmed by this healing show.
3. Re:Zero - It has built on the intriguing elements, and I look forward to more quality.
4. New Game! - An otaku pandering show that looks charming and has nice visuals.
5. Alderamin on the Sky - It is what I expected: a shaky looking story with attractive visuals.
6. Taboo Tattoo - It definitely looks fun, but its cliche tendencies worry me a bit.
7. This Art Club Has a Problem! - It could be a very entertaining and sweet wacky comedy.
8. Active Raid 2 - I generally liked the first season, and more of it is welcomed.
9. Twin Star Exorcists - It is cliche, but I really like the two protagonists.
10. Mob Psycho 100 - It looks super silly, but the visuals are indeed fantastic.
Anime watched: I normally do not watch whole series during premiere week, but I watched all of ReLIFE since it was posted in its entirety. I liked the show and found it endearing throughout; I gave it a Good rating. Next week I should post my simulcast list for Spring 2016.
Anime bought: I received my GKids BD/DVD combo copy of Only Yesterday, my favorite anime movie.
Anime watched: I watched my BD copy of Otaku no Video, and I keep liking it. I also watched the 1982 Space Adventure Cobra tv series, and it is a mixed bag. On the one hand it has some imaginative stuff, and the references to Western media are cool. And on other hand Cobra is a shaky written anime with not so good animation; there is also women objectification and misogyny. Still, I had a nice time and plan to watched the newer tv series and possibly the 1982 movie.
Anime industry: Crunchyroll finally decided to start dubbing anime and plans to release a bunch of them on BD and DVD. They even managed to snatch Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. I hope things go well for Crunchyroll and all other parties involved in this venture.
1. Flying Witch, episodes 9-12 (Good) - This anime can melt my heart. Flying Witch ends with the usual self-contained episodes that, even without a real narrative connection, are generally enjoyable. The biggest strength of this anime is its characters, and I am thankful that it ended in a high note with a great showcase of the best and most charming aspects of its cast.
2. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, episodes 8-12 (Very good) - It is true that the writing started to atrophy in the last third of this series, but the production values continued to be top notch, and the final episode was emotionally cathartic and well put together. I have no idea if more Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress will be made in the future, but what we got is pretty great.
3. Re:Zero, episodes 10-13 (Good) - These last episodes have been very intense and more engaging than ever. It seems like the show improves with every new episode. The potential of this anime has increased in the last month as well, and things could become very special and great. I am excited and have hopes that the second half can be even better.
4. Kiznaiver, episodes 9-12 (Good) - The most interesting aspect about this show was their characters. Their relationships continued to progress and reached some closure, but I am not quite satisfied. Also, the mysteries behind the Kizna project were silly. I am glad I watched Kiznaiver, but it never became as great as I thought it could with all its potential.
5. Twin Star Exorcists, episodes 9-12 (So-so) - This continues to be a cliched but generally enjoyable series. The story also continues to have intriguing and appealing elements. Even though I have fun with this show,
I will stop doing monthly reports because it will be 50 episodes long, and that is too long for me.
6. Joker Game, episodes 10-12 (Decent) - A narrative started to come together in the last episodes, but it was too late. Even though I found myself often disinterested with this show, some of the episodes were worth it because they were well produced and written.
7. Mayoiga, episodes 10-12 (Not really good) - This series ended as crappy as it began. The characters continued to be underdeveloped, the story did not make much sense and the direction was weird throughout. Following this show to be in the loop was not worth it.
Anime watched: I watched Gourmet Girl Graffiti, and I found it Shaft weird but also charming. It was definitely better than what I expected from a cooking and eating anime. I also watched some Naruto Shippuden to try to catch up with the story and hopefully watch its conclusion as it premiers.
Anime bought: I finally received my basic BD from the Otaku no Video Kickstarter campaign.
Anime watched: This week I rewatched Captain Earth. It is a great looking and sounding show from Bones. But despite liking a couple of characters quite a bit, the story can be tedious to watch at times. I am not sure if I want to rewatch this inconsistent series again. I also watched the third episode of Gundam the Origin, and I liked it.
Anime bought: I imported the third part of Gundam the Origin on BD (regular edition).
Anime watched: I did finish watching Your Lie in April, and yes, it is a truly special show to me. This week I watched my Sentai's BD's of Parasyte with the English dub. And I liked the show more than the first time I watched it. This time I did not notice a significant drop of quality in its second third, and the story and conclusion made more sense. I am really glad with this show.
Anime bought: Sentai's Parasyte -the maxim- Limited Edition, set 2.