Anime bought: Funimation's CE BD set of Code Geass.
Anime watched: This was yet another slow week, but I finished checking out the new anime series that most interest me. I should post my lineup for Fall tomorrow.
Anime bought: Funimation's CE BD set of Code Geass.
Anime watched: Another quiet week. I want to be busier next week and hopefully find exciting Fall shows.
1. Re:Zero, episodes 22-25 (Good) - This show was a hell of a ride. Parts of its second half have some annoying issues, but the presentation continued to be strong, and the conclusion was satisfying. I can say that this series lived up to the potential from the first few episodes. I am happy with this first season, but I would love to see more.
2. New Game!, episodes 9-12 (Good) - This is without a doubt my pleasant surprise of this season. I came into this show expecting another dumb, otaku-pandering show, but instead I got a feel good slice of life series with very likable characters. New Game! is by no means a masterpiece, but I pretty much enjoyed every single episode.
3. Amanchu!, episodes 9-12 (Good) - I watched the first season of Aria, which is a solid show, but it was too slow and kind of boring to me. That is why I was surprised by how much I liked and enjoyed the first episodes of Amanchu! This anime might not have a lasting impression on me (on big part because of its weak middle episodes), but it was a nice experience.
4. This Art Club Has a Problem!, episodes 9-12 (Decent) - Another surprising title that I liked more than I initially expected. It also has some inconsistent and low energy episodes, but it was a solid show when the execution was high. I will probably never revisit this title, but it is highly recommendable for comedy and moe fans.
5. Mob Psycho 100, episodes 9-12 (Good) - This is another under the radar show that I ended up liking. I think this anime works on two different levels. On the one hand it is a solid slice of life show with compelling characters. And the show also works as an action/adventure show that has a much larger and potentially interesting narrative.
6. Alderamin on the Sky, episodes 9-12 (Decent) - The first episode of this show had flaws, but it seemed to have potential for something cool. Unfortunately the writing in the next episodes undermined that potential. Fortunately the last arc and a solid conclusion that promises to deliver on that cool premise, more or less saved this show. But...will there be more anime made?
7. Orange, episodes 10-13 (Good) - Before this season started I considered this series my hope from the new crop of titles that seemed uninteresting to me. But almost from the get go Orange started struggling with a stale narrative and uninteresting characters. I lost interest in this anime by episode 8, but I must admit that the conclusion righted some wrongs.
8. Twin Star Exorcists, episodes 21-25 (So-so) - This stretch and the the second cour in general have included the best stuff from this series. For me it has been a delight to see the charming leads grow up together. I plan to keep following this anime, and hopefully the quality of the second cour will be sustained by the rest of the show.
9. Taboo Tattoo, episodes 9-12 (Not really good) - Initially I was very excited about this mediocre and bombastic show. But after its first third all the absurdity and gratuitous violence and sexuality turned into nonsensical lethargy. This series was never going to be good, but it was at least entertaining and very high octane at the start.
10. Active Raid Second, episodes 9-12 (Not really good) - This series is a continuation of the first season of Active Raid, but its first 7-8 episodes were mostly spent in stuff that had little connection to the story from its mediocre but fun predecessor. The last episodes returned to the story and antics from the first season, but it was kind of late by then.
Anime watched: This was another relaxed week. Some of my simulcasts have ended already, and I am starting to look forward to the Fall season.
Anime watched: This week I rewatched Sound of the Sky. This is a very special show for me, and the moe, occasional existentialist stuff and atmospheric production values continue to hold up well. I also had time to watch High School Fleet. And it is a cute girls doing dangerous things show that starts bland, but it improves over the course of it.
Anime watched: This was mostly a light week, but I did have time to watch Castle Town Dandelion. And it is not a good show, but it has some charm and touchy moments.
Anime industry: Of course the big news is Crunchyroll and Funimation forming a digital and physical distribution deal. It is too early to see how this can change things within the North American anime industry, but I hope things work out in a positive manner for all involved.
Anime watched: This was a very busy week. I watched the two seasons of Chaika: The Coffin Princess with the English dub. And, like with past rewatches of other series, I like Chaika even more than after my first watch. It is not a spectacular anime, but it is solid all around. I also watched my DVD copy of Chuunibyou REN with the English dub; my attitude towards it remains pretty much the same.
Anime bought: Sentai's BD of Chaika Avenging Battle and Sentai's DVD of Chuunibyou REN.
I look forward to new episodes
1. Re:Zero, episodes 19-21 (Good) - Things are again looking up.
2. New Game!, episodes 5-8 (Decent) - It continues to be cute and pleasant.
3. Amanchu!, episodes 5-8 (Good) - A shaky stretch unfortunately.
Enjoyment varies week to week
4. Mob Psycho 100, episodes 4-8 (Very good) - It kept building up and getting better.
5. This Art Club Has a Problem!, episodes 5-8 (Decent) - It remains fun and charming.
6. Twin Star Exorcists, episodes 17-20 (So-so) - Best stretch of episodes for sure.
7. Taboo Tattoo, episodes 5-8 (So-so) - Too much crazy shit going on to really care.
Do not like much but can tolerate
8. Orange, episodes 6-9 (Decent) - It is not doing it for me.
9. Alderamin on the Sky, episodes 5-8 (So-so) - The potential is still there despite the mediocre execution.
10. Active Raid 2, episodes 5-8 (So-so) - Trying different things but still mediocre.
Anime watched: There is not much to report because I did not watch any full series this week, but I did finish watching Barakamon with the English dub. I like most of the characters from Barakamon, and the premise is fun, but I still don't like it enough to want to own it on disc. I plan to return to my regular weekly reports next week.
Anime watched: I apologize for the belated report; I had internet issues. Last week I watched Kurokami. This time I noticed a few more problems than in my previous watches. I also dropped it down in my like rankings a few spots. Do not give me wrong, I still like Kurokami a lot. I am even planning to buy the Sentai BD release because the Bandai Entertainment BD's I own were kind of badly authored. Also, today I watched my BD's of Blood Blockade Battlefront, and I keep being in love with it.
Anime bought: Funimation's Limited Edition release of Blood Blockade Battlefront.