This week I returned to my routine and watched a lot of anime. I first watched my recently purchased BD's of Gurren Lagann. I do not love this show as I used to, but I still really like it; I especially like its energy. I then rewatched SNAFU TOO!, but I did not like it as much this time around. Finally, I had time to watch The Great Passage, which to me is now the best anime series from 2016.
After an almost one month long hiatus I have caught up with my simulcasts from Fall 2016. I also took at this new weak Winter season. And because of that I am only following seven shows that hopefully will retain my attention throughout the season. I should be able to rewatch something this upcoming week, and I should also do a write up of the 10 best anime series from 2016.
1. Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2 - My favorite show from 2016 is back.
2. Scum's Wish - This sick romance story is better than I anticipated.
3. Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc - It is looking very promising so far.
4. March Comes in Like a Lion - I will continue watching this show of course.
5. Fuuka - A romantic show with music and fanservice that seems to have potential.
6. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - A monster girls show that looks cute
7. Twin Stars Exorcists - I might as well finish watching the whole thing.
1. Sound! Euphonium 2, episodes 10-13 (Good) - Because of how brlliant season one could be, this second season felt like a let down for most of its first half. Thanfully the show rebounded nicely in its second half and managed to, for the most part, recapture the effective character drama that characterized the first season. Season two is also a nice complement and conclusion to season one.
2. Izetta, episodes 10-12 (Good) - In the end Izetta ended as a solid anime with not much ambition. This show never wanted to be spectacular but that is not necessarily a bad thing if the product is consistent throughout. I am satisfied with this alternative history show with otaku pandering elements. Most of the episodes were solid, and the plot direction and conclusion make sense.
3. March Comes in Like a Lion, episodes 8-11 (Very good) - This show is generally a personal drama with elements of levity and competitive shogi. Dramas are my favorite kinds of anime, but so far March Comes in Like a Lion has not won me over. When the show does drama it can be really good, but the rest of the time can be a real struggle. Hopefully the show gets better in its second half.
4. Occultic;Nine, episodes 9-12 (Decent) - Without a doubt this show was the weirdest of this season and posibly the whole year. This show was entertaining to follow, but the writting was too messy at times. The best things about it were its energy, the songs from the OP and ED and the interesting visual style. I wish the ennding was better, but I cannot complain much.
5. Natsume's Book of Friends 5, episodes 9-11 (Good) - This season of Natsume's Book of Friends ended without a resolution to the whole franchise, but that is okay. I had a good time watching this healing show; some episodes were great and others were just good. I look forward to the upcoming season, and I hope it gets us closer to a true conclusion.
6. Yuri!!! on Ice, episodes 10-12 (Good) - The show ended with the Grand Prix Final in a bittersweet fashion. The episodes were well done and had some nice emotional content. This anime had some ambitions, but the execution was not always there. I wanted to like this show more, but I could not. And apparently another season will be made.
7. Twin Star Exorcists, episodes 35-37 (So-so) - The plot is definitely moving forward, and things seem to be heading towards a climax, but I am getting tired of doing montly reports on this mediocre and often uninteresting show. If I end the montly reports on this series, I still plan to watch the rest of it though.
Anime watched: This week I decided to give A Certain Scientific Railgun another shot. I ended up watching the two seasons, and even though some thhings were not that well made, I liked the show overall and felt satisfied. I kind of want another anime season made.
This will be my last post for a while because I will not be able to blog for the next few weeks. My next post should be the final report for the Fall 2016 anime season.
Anime watched: This week Crunchyroll added some dubbed titles, and I decided to check Please Teacher! out. It turned out to be a pleasant title. After that I wached Please Twins! It was less solid and enjoyable, but the ending was satsifactory.
And idiot me realized that I did not do a weekly report for last week. I actually rewatched one of my favorite shows in Darker than Black. And I will say that it continues to hold up for me. I still wish there was more anime of it made, but I doubt it is going to happen.
I look forward to new episodes
1. Sound! Euphonium 2, episodes 5-9 (Good) - It has rebounded nicely, and I am back on board.
2. Izetta, episodes 6-9 (Good) - I am starting to really get impressed by it.
3. March Comes in Like a Lion, episodes 5-7 (Very good) - My enthusiasm has cool down somewhat, but I am still interested.
Enjoyment varies week to week
4. Occultic;Nine, episodes 5-8 (Decent) - I continue to feel invested in it and having fun.
5. Natsume's Book of Friends 5, episodes 5-8 (Good) - It continues to be solid and steady.
6. Yuri!!! on Ice, episodes 5-9 (Good) - I do not know what to make of this show anymore.
Do not like much but can tolerate
7. Twin Star Exorcists, episodes 30-34 (So-so) - Very disappointing stretch, but there still seems to be some hope.
Anime watched: I finally watched Anthem of the Heart, and I liked it enough to have bought a BD copy of it. It is a movie made from the creators of Anohana, and I definitely saw the similarities and overall vibe. I watched my Funimation's copy of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and I was more satisfied with it than the first time I watched it. Finally, I started watching my Viz's copy of the first half of Sailor Moon S; I am enjoying it so far.
Anime watched: This week I rewatched Toradora! And yep, I love this anime. I had a great time watching this very special title, and I am so happy it has an English dub. I still consider this series to be hands down the best anime romantic comedy and possibly the best school-centered anime.
Anime watched: This week I watched one of my most beloved anime series in Anohana. Its themes and emotions probably resonated more within me the first time I watched this show (some five years ago), but I continue to really like it and enjoy it. I also considered watching the follow up movie, but the series left me pretty satisfied.